Thursday, April 2, 2015

Armoire and Night Stand




These two pieces were my grandparents.  I love the idea of having furniture that was used by loved ones but do not love the idea so much of ugly furniture.  I know, so shallow.  I can't help it I am way to visual for my own good!!!  I am really bad at remembering to take a picture before I start a project.  I get way to excited to start!  I remembered after removing some hardware....and starting on one of the drawers of the night stand.





There was an old Culligan Coaster that had been glued to the top of this night stand.   My grandpa worked for Culligan Water.  My aunt speculates that he had been getting in trouble by my Grandma for not using a coaster and leaving a ring or marking it up from his cigars so he  glued a coaster on.  :) Sounds about right.



 

I started with the hardware. First, I removed it all and scratched it up with some sandpaper.  I then primed it (any primer will do). I then sprayed it down with the Rust-oleum metalic spray. I was planning to buy new hardware but then discovered this.   Sometimes it pays to be cheap!!


This stuff is AMAZING!  I am now using it all the time in our new house.  Doorknobs. Fixtures. Whatever.  More of that to come in my later blogs. 

Next step,  I lightly sanded the furniture.  Be sure to wash your furniture well!!! Especially the old stuff.  Primed with the same primer. No dry time needed because as soon as I was done priming where I started was dry.  Make sure to remove the drawers to avoid unnecessary sticking and headaches. Two coats paint and......



Finished Results!!

 My little guy was so proud of his mama :)   I love these pieces now!!! I hope to use them for years to come.  The great thing about refinishing furniture is that I know when styles change and these are suddenly so 2015 I can just refinish them again!!!!!!!! AMAZING!

What I would do different

As stated in my last blog...chalk paint.  Normal white paint worked fine but chalk paint is more pleasant to work with.

I would have scrubbed really hard when cleaning.   I did just a wipe down but should have cleaned it a bit more.  Only trouble this caused was needing a third coat in spots.  All needed two coats.


I can't even imagine loving furniture more then I love these pieces in my baby girls room.  She seems to like them too!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment